Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Zeus Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I just wanted to follow up on Pre-apprenticeships.

Doing one won't necessarily hurt you, but they aren't necessary.

Th cost of an Electrical Pre-apprenticeship at SAIT is about $4000 and you are done your 1st year schooling. So when you do get hired and indentured, at the end of the first year you don't have to go to school. You automatically become 2nd year and work for another year. You can also do the 4 month course which gets you 1st and 2nd year. But, I would definitely not do this. Most companies don't want this. They would rather have green guys who they can teach rather than know it alls that think they know everything.

The cost of my schooling, which is exactly the same as the pre-apprenticeship, is $750. Yup. And-my union picks up the tab.

When I was searching, some companies told me they only hire -pre-app, but most said don't bother. Find the ones that would rather you don't have it.

Also, I would call them directly and/or visit them rather than just applying online or something. If you do apply online, go visit them, or call.

Also, I don't thing the companies out here hire helpers. They hire "general Labourers" and then move you to the trade you want. WHich is a grey area because by law, you aren't technically allowed to do this. A "helper" can't do duties that an apprentice would otherwise do and not be indentured.

Here's a start

http://goo.gl/eZFyr
12-16-2012 05:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zeus's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Zeus - 12-16-2012 05:29 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM