Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-16-2012 09:50 PM)Mirthless Wrote:  
(12-16-2012 08:48 PM)Irishman Wrote:  Yes- 4 years Engineering Degree, Slightly above average marks. But I always put it down as first class honors.

What's the point of getting the degree if you're going to fake it? You could have done that without the degree. Just curious...

I not faking my degree just bumping up my grades a bit. Plus although I partied a lot and didn't go to class as much as I should have I did end up learning quite a lot. Plus remember that I never thought about working in the oil field till i had finished University. I originally wanted to buy old houses, modernise them and sell them at a profit. And had the Irish property market had not crashed I would probably be doing that right now. My dad had a natural flare for it and I learned a lot of him about it.

As for my University results -I lost a lot of marks for attendance but scored highly in project work and end of year exams. I would often score higher with a couple of hours of study then someone who went to every lecture all semester. Not being cocky just have good exam technique and real good short term memory.

Overall though my course had about 20-30% attendance marks for a lot of modules so ended up with second class honours. I always put it down as first class though because with the time difference between Canada and Ireland it would be quite hard to call and check that.

As for work exp: Ya fake that as much as you think you can get away with. Not saying pretend you were a doctor but if I did a a week of something it becomes a month, if I was a junior assistant I put down task manager. These companies are too busy to check the small details.

Again with University- I was overall disappointed with the structure of my course. Black and white slide shows and boring lectures just didn't work for me. I did make the most of it though. Student businesses, running student clubs and societies, networking, partying, travelling, enjoying being young. I had a great 4 years and the social and networking skills I learned I use daily.

If you were real ballsy you probably could just pretend you have a degree. But I have no idea how long you would last before they caught on.... Would be funny if someone on here gave it a go haha
12-16-2012 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Atlantic's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 12-16-2012 10:32 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM