Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-16-2012 11:13 PM)christpuncher Wrote:  Thanks for clarifying. So regarding drilling/MWD/future jobs: You don't seem to be working as a professional engineer...how does that play out in the interviewing process for you? Aren't people questioning why an engineer is applying for a leasehand job? and how did you address those questions?

I ask because I am a newly graduated engineer myself. But almost all of the official "engineering" jobs I find available are standard 40 hour work weeks or at most 10 on 10 off (at Kearl).
I'm thinking seriously about abandoning the geotech engineer path I'm following to pursue MWD/directional drilling where I could work my ass off for weeks at a time and then fuck off for a month to South America etc. With a professional job they always want you around the office every day... Plus the money is better since you have the opportunity to work a lot more hours.

The way I see work is that once you start working for the day, that day is pretty much shot whether you worked 6 or 12 hours. I'd much rather work 12 hour days and have more time off than work a standard 8 hour office day where you still come home tired and don't want to do anything for yourself.

With your engineering degree, you're sitting pretty no matter how you look at it. You could go ahead and work a few years in the patch doing rig work or whatever but since you have the degree, you'll have the option of taking a cushy office job later on, if you want it.

I think you're right that most engineering firms don't want their guys fucking off to travel for months at a time and those guys usually are around the office when they're not in the field.

I think combining the two, field experience and travelling when you're younger, then transitioning into a more "normal" 40 hour work week and the lifestlye that comes with it when you're older. That's what I'm looking at doing, eventually.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
12-16-2012 11:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
Atlantic, pitt, DjembaDjemba

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 12-16-2012 11:46 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM