Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
pitt Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-17-2012 12:38 AM)Irishman Wrote:  
(12-16-2012 11:13 PM)christpuncher Wrote:  So regarding drilling/MWD/future jobs: You don't seem to be working as a professional engineer...how does that play out in the interviewing process for you? Aren't people questioning why an engineer is applying for a leasehand job? and how did you address those questions?

Alright so leasehanding and being an MWD are of course very different things. One is like being a baggage handler and the other an assistant pilot. No offense to anyone.

I didn't really do an interview for my leasehand position. I filled out a form online and sent in a resume. When they called me it was to come in and do orientation. I was already in.
No one mentioned my degree or asked any questions about it. It was on the resume of course but that's about it. No one else on my rig had a degree and I never said I had one. Not a smart idea to mention that haha. My rigging crew just thought I was some farmer from Ireland looking to make sure cash haha.

A good link for what they look for is:

http://www.savannaenergy.com/docs/drilling.pdf

or

http://www.toughnecks.com/

Now for MWD they are looking for a technical aptitude. Maths, physics, engineering, science, chemistry etc. Also add in office skills like computers, spreadsheets, reports and so on. Here my degree helps big time. But so would anything else that shows you are suitable for the job.

MWDing is actually a kind of well kept secret. A lot of people on the rig have no idea what we do or have not even ever heard of the job. When I first landed I rang a few drilling companies to ask about positions and they thought I was messing about 'MWDing', none of them had heard of it. Sometimes it has different names too. I seen some safety sheet the other day and I was down as a drilling engineer and on another I was down as a directional driller. It is a nice little niche position. Lots of people do it for 15 years and never try move up. The effort-pay ratio is easily the best on the whole rig.

Remember that although these jobs are both rig based they are very different. They are nearly always different companies. They don't talk or even see each other that much. The company I am with only have MWD and Directional Drillers. I have not talked to or seen any of the drilling crew in 3 days. Well I see them out the window moving pipe around. In fact now that I think of it I have not really been outside more than 2 minutes at a time in 3 days. Jesus.

Irishman im not understanding one thing here.

How did you move from a leasehand to MWD so quick? Did you just move into a new company? And you havent said anything about working as a leasehand. How was it? Was this really tough as people were saying it is?
12-17-2012 09:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes pitt's post:
Pacesetter20

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - pitt - 12-17-2012 09:15 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM