Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-17-2012 09:15 AM)pitt Wrote:  Irishman im not understanding one thing here.

How did you move from a leasehand to MWD so quick? Did you just move into a new company? And you havent said anything about working as a leasehand. How was it? Was this really tough as people were saying it is?

Alright so I will do the timeline of what happened. I got hired as a leasehand. I didn't have a truck so I waited for a fly in- fly out camp job. Several weeks later I was still waiting so went out an got my licience sorted and bought a truck. I told the drilling company I had got the truck and they then said they would send me up in the following days.

While all this had been going on I had been applying for MWD positions online. Right after I got the truck but before I actually left to work as a leasehand I got a call from an MWD company (not saying who) to come in for an interview. I went in and got the job. They actually wanted me to actually start straight away. I explained that I had already commited to go work as a leasehand but that when I was back from that first rotation I would switch companies and work for them.

I did that for a few reasons. One I wanted the experience of working as a leasehand and knowing that I could do it. I also knew that I would get paid a lot faster from my leasehand rotation so it would be a nice cash influx while I was waiting to get paid as an MWD. Finally I wanted to show the MWD company that I am a loyal person and that when I commit to a company I won't just drop them at a minutes notice to work for someone esle. They were impressed by this and also that I would work as a leasehand in the first place. Got a nice bit of respect for that and it has also helped me a lot to get that week of experience.

So to completely clarify: it is two different companies that have nothing got to do with each other. I didn't have to work as a leasehand I could have just rang them up and told them I wasn't going to do it. I am glad I did it though for the reasons stated above.

Ill post up about my week as a leasehand later
12-17-2012 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Atlantic's post:
pitt

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 12-17-2012 09:30 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM