Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
wisty Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(12-19-2012 02:35 AM)scotian Wrote:  
(12-19-2012 02:02 AM)wisty Wrote:  Hi Scotian, I read through the thread and I have some questions for you.

Some background.

-I will have a degree in Kinesiology in 5 months. (Probably worthless there.)
-I'm completely unskilled as far as blue collar work.

You mentioned some 4-12 week classes in your original post. Could you elaborate a little more on what kind of jobs you can get with those type of classes, and what kind of certification I should be trying to get? I'm VERY serious about getting up there, working hard and getting paid. There are just so many job titles and listings, I don't even know where to begin.

Also, would it be realistic for a new person to make $65K in their first year there? I really appreciate this thread and your advice as I continue doing my own research. There aren't a lot of places on the internet that have this much information from people with first hand experience.

Most important question is, ARE YOU CANADIAN?

You kinesiology degree will be pretty much useless unless you want to work for one of the camps as a personal trainer or recreation manager, not the best money but you'd be using your degree and the job would be very easy, and inside.

Now about the trades, you'll have to decide on your own, there's many options. You could always come out and work for a bit on site as a labourer or some kind of helper to get your feet wet and decide from there. re-read the thread, search some videos on youtube, etc.

I made over $60K my first year fresh out of school working 40-50 hours/week, home every night in Calgary, I also had about 6 weeks of vacation that year so ya, $60K is doable, especially farther up north.

I'm American. :/ As I've seen in parts of the thread, this makes things more difficult since I currently have no skills. I was hoping a 3 month certification of some sort would make me desirable to at least one company up there.

I'll go back over the thread and keep doing research. One way or another I'll make it happen.
12-19-2012 02:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes wisty's post:
scotian

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - wisty - 12-19-2012 02:39 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM