Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
John Mack Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Just writing to introduce myself and to say a huge thanks for all the awesome info on this thread. John Mack here from Ireland. I came across this forum and thread while searching for information on Alberta and the sands. Boy was i happy when i found it. It took about 3 weeks to read it all, a little every night, but it's a great source for anyone looking to make the move. So much useful data and good advice.

Luckily I got a job offer back in November to go to Calgary on a temporary foreign worker visa as a carpenter but I was still undecided on whether to go or not. The construction industry in Ireland has literally ground to a halt over the last 3 years. It's really bad here. Deader than a toad with a brick up its arse as they say. It was booming for years but not anymore unfortunately.

Am doing as much research as i can at the moment in preparation for the move. So much stuff to sort out; police certs, visa forms etc etc. Am getting there slowly though and fingers crossed will be in Canada in the Spring.
By the way if anyone from Ireland, U.K. etc is reading this and looking for any info, would be delighted to help if I can. (with what little i know so far) Just drop me a pm. It all seemed very complicated at first but it gets easier as you go along and there are some great Canadian government websites explaining the process clearly.

I've actually done camp type work before in Australia and mainland Europe so I know what to expect if I do end up going north. Camp life is definitely a unique experience. A bit scary at first but not so hard as it seems once you get used to it. I've met some characters I can tell you. All sorts of people on those jobs. But some of the friends you make there are for life. When you're stuck in the middle of nowhere for weeks on end working your bollocks off together, you get to form great friendships along the way. Probably like the army a bit maybe.
So yeah I wasn't sure what the situation was in Canada. I knew a little about the oil sands but not much. Pretty much all I'd heard about northern Alberta was that it's colder than a husky's tits pullin' nine suckin' pups up a hill with a fully-laden trap in the dead of winter with a mouth full of porcupine quills. So this thread has been so great for someone like me who didn't know much about it and was searching for good info. It convinced me to make the move!

I've written to one or two of you already to say a personal thankyou. Hopefully we'll get to meet for a beers in the near future. Peace out.

John Mack
01-01-2013 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like John Mack's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Zeus, Nima

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - John Mack - 01-01-2013 05:01 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM