Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
salmonfella Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hi guys,

Have been hustling like mad the last few weeks trying to learn as much as i can and trying to get somewhat prepared as i leave Ireland mid march going to set myself up in Calgary. my story is i had been an apprentice electrician in Ireland, In Ireland an apprenticeship is usually 7 standard phases of which 3 are school based and the apprenticeship must equal to 208 weeks or 4 years. my story is i have the 7 phases done but only have 3 and a half years done. so i am short 6 months to get my trade cert. i have searched Ireland the last few months to finish my time but people that are from Ireland no there is just no work here. So i rang a union in Calgary to inquire about maybe starting as a 4th year and working for a year too make the 4 years and then get granted the Journey person card. I was then told to ring AIT which i did 25 euro worth of phone credit later i got chatting to a lady told her my story and within in a minute she told me it would not work as i had to be a permanent residence to continue on in apprenticeship and that basically the 3 and half years i served in Ireland was a waste that it cant be counted in CanadaSad and too real drive the nail in she told that it would be illegal for me to work in the electrical field in alberta so the job i love i cant even do. like i understand i am not qualified yet but surely with me coming on a 2 year visa it would make sense to let me do my 9 months and get qualified that way especially with such a labour shortage.But its not to be i guess i am now looking at the idea of going to Calgary and hustling like mad and getting a job in the oil-sands i feel my electrical experience might help me. I also have applied for a couple of service rig jobs and oil rig as a leasehand i hope to get a start in that next winter. I just want to thank scotian and irishman for all the help and hope to see ye guys in Edmonton or Calgary soonSmile
01-05-2013 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - salmonfella - 01-05-2013 07:48 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM