Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-05-2013 10:01 PM)Nima Wrote:  Scotian and others, I'm looking for a place to rent in Calgary, but I've got no idea where. I have a 5 day course in SAIT but it's only 5 days so even if I'm a million miles away I can still get myself to class somehow. But since I don't know where I'll be working after, I don't know where to look for rent.

Should I just aim for the downtown area or...? Compared to Vancouver, Calgary seems like a small town (looking at the map). I guess it won't hurt to just look for the cheapest place no matter where it's at.

Stay west of the Deerfoot Trail, preferably somewhere near a C-train station. I lived in three place in Calgary; Southland, Dalhousie (both near C-train) and Tuxedo, which was within walking distance to SAIT.

East of Deerfoot (NE and Forest Lawn areas) are full of riff-raff and nothing interesting there, Calgary is a huge city area wise, I think its about 60K north to south city limits, so unless you have a car, try to stay somewhere accessible by transit. The older parts of the city and downtown are better anyway because that's where the decent nightlife is although each suburb has a couple of okay pubs.

Guys I wont be able to update this thread as frequently as I usually do because I'm in the middle of an epic bender in Thailand that I'll likely need to go to detox for when I return so I hope you will understand. Have fun freezing your asses off in Hellberta, hahahaha!!!!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
01-08-2013 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like scotian's post:
John Mack, Vacancier Permanent, Nima, Zeus

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-08-2013 10:44 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM