Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Damedius Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-08-2013 09:10 PM)Living the dream Wrote:  Hey, I was thinking of heading up to Fort Mac for some work. I wanted to get into the Heavy Duty Mechanic side of things but it seems all the pre apprenticeship programs have ridiculous wait lists. The one at BCIT is full until 2015 for example.

Is it possible to get in green in this trade? I do have some background. I am taking the AME (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) course right now at BCIT just finished the first semester so I know a bit about fixing engines and stuff along those lines. I want to switch over my program to HD mechanic but really don't feel like waiting 2 years to get into a pre apprentice program.

Thanks for the help.

It won't just come to you. You will have to call places that hire Heavy Duty Mechanics and find one that trains green people.

The AME course could be very useful. You might be able to find a job at the airport or at one of the helicopter companies. At the very least should tie you over till you find something else.
01-09-2013 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Damedius - 01-09-2013 06:59 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM