Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-14-2013 07:30 PM)Albertron Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 05:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  Living rent free in the Mac is a pretty sweet deal, especially if you manage to get LOA allowance (may be hard to get as unskilled), I would take it at least for a month or two to get settled and make some money. Hopefully the people are cool and don't drive you crazy, but if they help you get a job then that's great, hopefully you'll be so busy working that you're rarely home.

Scaffolding is a good trade and the guys are almost always busy, every site has scaffolders, they work during new construction, maintenance and shut downs, all year round. It is however one of the more labour intensive trades, you'll be wacking hammers a lot and carry and passing scaffolding pipe. Another thing, scaffolders are known to be some of the tougest and roughest of the tradesmen, just to let you know.

Thanks for the heads up. I kinda figured they'd be tough and rough considering the higher labour intensity but if that's what he can line up for me, I'm really not gonna complain.

This past Sunday I completed my H2S alive. So I've got that, my OSSA Fall protection, CSTS and First Aid. Good to go for certifications. The instructor I had for my H2S alive course worked on oil rigs for 30 years around North America before setting up his own business teaching H2S Alive around Canada. He says if I were to go into scaffolding, there are endless jobs in Fort Mac for that. He also said in terms of any type of trade work, minimum salary he's heard of is $70k.

One of his buddies who is now a drilling site manager (I think that's what the position is called, basically when a drilling site is set up, he simply overlooks the site to ensure safe and complete operation), worked on the rigs since he was 18 years old, now makes about $350k/year.

Charges $1.30 per km of travel per site, and apparently one time, he had to travel 20 hours from one site to another and back, got a $6k mileage cheque. Wtf

Also says that the man works so much, in 2 weeks he's seen pay stubs come up to $25k.

Jeez, now I'm considering doing some drilling now.

Anyway, February is around the corner. Last day at my job is Jan. 31. Still waiting on word from my cousin who's in Florida right now, but mid-Feb is the target time to leave. Just gotta sell my car.

That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself, I've always been pro-trades and oil sands work but as we've seen by Irishman's recent success, drilling is an excellent option as well and opportunities abound in both sectors.

I would say that the main advantages of a skilled trade is that you can work with your ticket in a lot of different places: offshore oil rigs, oil sands, cities, etc. I especially like the fact that you can work as a tradesman in a city because trust me, after busting your ass and making lots of cash in a work camp environment for a few years, you'll have the option of living a "normal" life in a city. Scaffolder is one such trade that can be done pretty much everywhere.

As for drilling, although there are some rigs close to cities in Alberta such as Lloydminster, Grande Prairie, etc. most are located in shit hole towns like Fox Creek, Hinton, etc.

One advantage of drilling is that if you want to see the world, there are lots of international opportunities in drilling, especially the advanced stuff like MWD. If you want to read more about the international drilling lifestyle, I highly recommend the following books by Paul Carter, both great reads:

-Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs, She Thinks I'm A Piano Player In A Whorehouse

-This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
01-15-2013 04:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-15-2013 04:12 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM