Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-15-2013 04:12 AM)scotian Wrote:  That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself, I've always been pro-trades and oil sands work but as we've seen by Irishman's recent success, drilling is an excellent option as well and opportunities abound in both sectors.

I would say that the main advantages of a skilled trade is that you can work with your ticket in a lot of different places: offshore oil rigs, oil sands, cities, etc. I especially like the fact that you can work as a tradesman in a city because trust me, after busting your ass and making lots of cash in a work camp environment for a few years, you'll have the option of living a "normal" life in a city. Scaffolder is one such trade that can be done pretty much everywhere.

As for drilling, although there are some rigs close to cities in Alberta such as Lloydminster, Grande Prairie, etc. most are located in shit hole towns like Fox Creek, Hinton, etc.

One advantage of drilling is that if you want to see the world, there are lots of international opportunities in drilling, especially the advanced stuff like MWD. If you want to read more about the international drilling lifestyle, I highly recommend the following books by Paul Carter, both great reads:

-Don't Tell Mum I Work On The Rigs, She Thinks I'm A Piano Player In A Whorehouse

-This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield

True, I'm sure with any trade, I'll have the opportunity to see the world, but you're right. My instructor, along with his oil rig/drilling buddies, have worked on rigs around the world based on what they can get and have had immense success with it. The H2S shit he's been teaching us is scary stuff. His motto was to 'treat this stuff with respect'. A big eye-opener in terms of what goes on there.

When I did my OSSA Fall Protection course, I was at the warehouse where they built the harnesses and all the safety gear to work at heights (DBI SALA, Protecta) and when I told them I may be moving up to Fort Mac, their responses were mostly negative, saying this from "Oh jeez, that's one place I wouldn't want to go" to "It's rough over there" and even "That's kind of a stupid decision". A couple of them have been there. Not that I'm letting it get me down, but considering most of their responses were of this nature, kind of makes you think a little.

Regardless of what's being said, beggars can't be choosers. If my cousin doesn't go through with his word then I'm still employing your blueprint to make it happen. It's pretty much a waiting game for me at this point, and I'm itching to go. Even though this is all a calculated risk that I'm taking, I'm scared as fuck.

But then I watch videos like this, and I remember why I'm doing this. Going through this thread every so often helps, too.
01-16-2013 12:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Albertron's post:
Atlantic, John Mack, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 01-16-2013 12:05 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM