Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-16-2013 05:16 AM)pitt Wrote:  Great post Irishman (as always).

7 thousand dollars for 10 days work? Damnn

By the way, why do you recommend to have 2000 dollars saved up for the drilling job?

It takes a while for your wages to come in and to have a steady cash flow. Being a leasehand expect to get paid 3 weeks after you start. As an MWD it could be 2 months. I made it as far as from arriving to Canada to starting work as a leasehand by myself but have since had to borrow 2,500 from back home. My first truck died, wages took a while to come in, some big nights out on the town and other expenses knocked me back. Lucky I got some soild support from my folks back home but it is family policy to only borrow money when you have tried every other avenue first.

With my job everything I do I have to pay up front out of my own pocket. I end up making profit on things like kms driven to work and food allowance but it takes a while to see that money. A 4 Hour drive to work and food for a 2 week job can set me back over 700 pretty fast. Then things like my phone bill, insurance, rent keep coming in while I am at work. Its a little different for a leasehand but always good to have a safety net and be prepared. Unexpected expenses happen easier then you think up here.
01-16-2013 05:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 01-16-2013 05:54 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM