Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Pros80, you wrote me a PM but you're not able to receive PMs, so I just copied your question and my reply here on the thread instead. There was another guy who PM'd me but I emptied my inbox so lost the message which is why I haven't gotten back to you so if you want, send me another PM.

I've enjoyed reading your insight about the Oil Sands. I'm an American who plans on getting a place in Edmonton in March and then going to the Sand to try and get a job.

Do you recommend staying in Edmonton and then going to Fort Mac and pounding the pavement to see what jobs I can get?

Since I'm American there are some NAFTA agreements that can allow someone to get a temp work permit. Have you seen other Americans show up and just look for work?

I would prefer Fort Mac to heading to North Dakota. Let me know if you have any tips. Thanks for the info.

Hey man your biggest hurdle will be paperwork and visas, any American that I've met was brought into Canada on a special work permit already arranged by a company, never met one who just showed up to work. All of those had a special skill, trade or education work experience such as engineer or technician before they came up.

I would suggest living in Edmonton if you want to do fly in/out work but Fort Mac is better if you want to be "home" every night.

Good luck

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
01-27-2013 06:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-27-2013 06:32 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM