Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Online
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-02-2013 07:42 AM)Jourgensen Wrote:  Hi to all the people here, first time poster here and let me first say that this thread is amazing. I've been looking to move to Canada for a couple of months, to either Edmonton or Calgary, mainly cause of the jobs in oil/gas industry.

Just wanted to ask Scotian, Irishman or someone with expirience, if there's any hope for me. I'm 34 years old, 6'6, no kids, from Croatia (Eastern Europe) and with absolutely no expirience whatsoever in this field. I have a BA in agriculture and after few years working in my field, the recession pretty much smashed my company (and many others) so i'm strongly looking at this possibility.

I was thinking about moving to Calgary or Edmonton with my girlffriend, she could find a job at the restarurant or at the mall, whatever, and i'd work in oil/gas sands.

Now, i perfectly understand that no company will employee a foreigner with no skill online. But is there any chance i get there, knock on their door and get any kind of job? Something like rigger's, driller's helper, or welders helper, or whatever that is being offered to persons with no expirience?

Someone please help, i'm pretty much sick of such highly unstable economy in Croatia and Europe overall, this really looks like a good shot a decent living.

Look into the youth labour exchange program or whatever its called, I linked it a few times in previous pages, although at 34 this is the last year you would qualify and I met a Croatian guy who got a job on the rigs and he said that they only hand out something like 200 of them to Croatians each year, so get on it ASAP!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
02-03-2013 12:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-03-2013 12:35 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM