Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Scoop Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Thanks Linotype for your reply.

Thank you Scotian for your reply, not just to me, but to everyone who asks a question, however banal.

There is a recurring theme running through this thread. There is plenty of well-paid work in Alberta. No matter how often we hesitaters ask questions about our trades or nationalities or the cold or whether we will be able to find our favourite brand of minty toothpaste in Fort Mac, the fact will always remain. We are asking questions whilst the doers are doing and reaping the rewards.

My main question was about my advanced age. Linotype gave me three great examples of people older than me who are all well employed up there. That's enough for me. Irishman's story of how he hustled with a suit and an empty briefcase, knowing full well that when he got the break he would have the stones to do the job is just inspirational. Ferros last post is like a bible that I will use to hit the ground running.

So I'm coming out in two or three weeks. I am now confident that I will get a job of some kind, and I know that it's all down to me if I don't. Will I be able to hack the work? I don't know. I can stand the loneliness of being away from family, the cold, the repetition and the being shouted at. But the 84 hour + weeks? I've never done that before so I don't know, but I'm a worker. I'd like to think that they'll have to dig me out of a snow drift before they sack me.

A bientôt.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 08:09 PM by Scoop.)
02-03-2013 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scoop's post:
Irishi

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Scoop - 02-03-2013 08:01 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM