Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-03-2013 08:09 AM)KingCokeSnorter Wrote:  Hey guys if I want to go out west and do crane operator any useful advice? What's the pay like,where/who should I look for job first. I have undergrad degree in business but am thinking of doing masters in petroleum engineering (I have enough physics and calc courses to get in I asked already) should I go for business job or engineer job or trade job, what pays best. Will I get hired in engineering if I have no experience and just the degree? My grandfather had 4 oil rig in his country and I use to supervise it so I could fudge my resume a little bit. What should I do, I will take whatever job pays the most. I had a geology professor who worked in oil sands and claimed he made 800k a year, was he just blowing smoke or is this for real and we was like only 40.

That's a hard question to answer because you talking about four very different work paths.

-Crane operators make around $30-45 depending if they're union or not, a guy could make $150-200K/year, easy, but he'd have to put in a lot of OT.

-I'm not sure about engineers because I don't know too many but I see a lot of jobs posted online in the 120-150K range, this is for 40 hours/week.

-Business jobs, I don't know, depends on if you're an office lacky doing paper work or you're an executive in an oil company, this could range from 50K to in the millions.

-I've never met a geologist so I can't say but I imagine they'd be making around what an engineer makes.

Figure out what you want to do first because there's a HUGE difference between being a tradesman and being a petroleum engineer.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
02-03-2013 10:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-03-2013 10:22 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM