Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
John Mack Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Quote:Thing is, i'm not afraid of work and longetivety, it's just that my girlfriend just doesn't want to be alone for such extensive period of time in a place and country where she doesn't know a single soul. Is there are more humane option, so to speak, like 14/7 or something like that? And if it's 28/7, is that a 12 hour/day?

Yeah 12 hour days. There are different rotations for different jobs; I've heard of 21/7's on some of them. The locations of the worksites make it impossible for a company to consider girlfriend/family friendly options. They're in the bush mate - usually many hours drive even to get to the nearest airport. So when you go out there it's for a long stretch and long hours. It is what it is. You get paid well for the inconvenience.
Some of the older guys did have their wives with them and kids sometimes and lived in their caravans next to the camp. Depends on where you are. We were in a nice enough spot; about 5 hours drive from the barrier reef.

Quote:So, what's worse from your expirience? Working on -50 or 40+? Man, God really must be a joker, it's really from one extreme to another.

Ha. I haven't worked in -50 yet dude. Am betting it's worse than +40 heat though.
02-04-2013 07:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - John Mack - 02-04-2013 07:55 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM