Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Lux Interior Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-15-2013 01:56 AM)scotian Wrote:  Lux, as a fellow union member I agree that the union jobs are by far the best in the oil patch, although I wouldn't discourage anyone, especially a new guy from going the non-union route. It's all about getting your foot in the door and starting an apprenticeship, if you want to eventually join a union, you can do so, just don't turn down an apprenticeship opportunity just because its non-union.

As far as I know, non-union, CLAC companies (JV Drivers, Ledcor, Kiewit, etc.) actually have more workers up in the oil sands, even the camp jobs. There's mixed sites and also sites that are strictly non-union (CNRL Horizon and most in the Conklin area) and sites that are union (Syncrude, Suncor base plant, etc.)

I've worked both and both have their own pro's and con's, I recommend doing what is best FOR YOU, especially in terms of work advancement.

Agreed, i have also worked non-Union and the jobs are still better than in trade jobs in most of the world.
The offer most of the same benefits as working Union except the rates of pay are lower.
In Genereal though CLAC companies are dragging wage rates down in the Oil Sands.
02-15-2013 01:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Lux Interior - 02-15-2013 01:06 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM