Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-19-2013 08:50 AM)alecks Wrote:  guys do any of you know the town of banff,Alberta?

its not far from calgary as i can see.A friend of my family is over there working in a hotel and making shit tons of money as a waitress.Originally she was supposed to do nursing in indian reservations but she got this job and is raking it in.

I think this would get my foot in the door if i wanted to get networking/starting a trade/doing courses over there as it is a very good opportunity.I could then move my ass to calgary after i save some coin.

opinions on this place?/Is there much money in the tourist industry/Ski resorts etc?.i havnt heard much besides that there are a ton of tourists.im gonna email her this week

Banff is nice little mountain town about 1.5 hours from Calgary, if you do move there, it'll be for the lifestyle (partying, skiing, drinking, chasing women, etc) and not for work opportunities and definitely not to make a lot of money. I used to go there on weekends when I lived in Calgary, the place is crawling with young people from Oz, NZ, UK and other parts of Canada (especially Quebec). Its also reputed to be the STD capital of Canada.

You'll likely live in staff accommodations and make $10-12/hour washing dishes or doing some other menial job in a hotel. If that's what you want to do for a few months or even a year, you'll have fun and it will be a good experience, I have several friends who've done it and they don't regret it. However, don't get caught up in the Banff/Lake Louise lifestyle and end up there strung out on drugs for five years, I have a good buddy who did that.

You won't make many contacts in the oil biz by staying there unless you bump into people on trade conventions and seminars at hotels or places like the Banff centre. If you're serious about a career in the oil biz, but still want to enjoy Banff, move to Calgary.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
02-21-2013 03:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-21-2013 03:11 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM