Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-21-2013 01:02 AM)RossTan Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 11:30 PM)23Billion Wrote:  Okay guys. Here is my report/sheet lol?

First, Thank You Scotian bro.

Then I sent my resume to my friend to tweak it for me. I got my resume back with A LOT OF BULLSHT on it and years of experience as a computer technician. My friend copied somebody else's resume and he also added post secondary education and a half way through master's degree with all the details needed to bullsht through an interview. I will not mention the name of the degree or the school lol because I don't want the company to find this in future hehe because if I leave this job before one year term is completed I'll have to pay back all the bonuses. Basically it was somebody else's resume and he just put my name on it lol with my friends' numbers as references.

I started applying again and got a few interviews. I got an interview with a company called Ledcor. I showed up and interview went great. I got offered a job and took it. Can't say the name of the title because I'm pretty sure they could track me down if I mention my position.

Within weeks I was on my way to Saskatoon for training that lasted 3+ months. The company paid for the tickets and the room that I was living in. They paid a LITTLE less than $20/hr for training and a $50/day allowance every day for the duration of the training. It was an awesome experience. I was working in Regina and a position opened up in GTA and I applied for transfer and got back to Ontario just recently.

This experience has made me realized that its ALL about luck man. Yes you have to try. I did book a ticket and fly out to Regina with not a lot of money. But it is ALL about luck and who you end up dealing with in your way to the position you want. The people I met with were very nice and accommodating.

Saskatchewan hehe. So yeah man all I can say is WOW and WHOA hehe.

I'll just end this here before it gets too long.

Thanks for the thread again Scotian. And guys go out West.

Glad it all worked out, but I gotta ask...are you a white guy, 'cause that sh*t would NOT fly any other way! Master's Degree without providing proof? Not gonna happen if you were anything else besides white. Met a Sudanese guy 4 year, engineering degree, grew up in Canada. During his interview they asked him for his TRANSCRIPTS! And no one asked you for a single proof of education? If you ain't white then I'm gonna ask for more details. Tongue 'Cause this sh*t is beyond LUCK! Banana

I'd say it had less to do with race and more to do with his superior BS abilities and maybe a gullible HR person, sounds like 23Billion applied game to a job interview as Roosh described in this ROK post: http://www.returnofkings.com/3298/now-yo...-get-a-job

Well congratulations 23Billion on the luck you had, you greasy bastard! Actually I don't think you should have mentioned the company name, they're a big organization (I've worked for them on several projects and there's a damn good chance one of their employees is reading this thread. If I were you, I'd PM Roosh or Tuthmosis and have them edit your post and take out the employer's name.

As far as the race thing goes, in the oil sands and construction/trades type work, there's no denying that there are some racist/discriminatory elements in the hiring process. This isn't a federal government office in Ottawa or some PC friendly Liberal organization in Toronto where "diversity is strength". This is red neck/caveman territory.

A lot of these companies are run by people who grew up in some butt fuck town and they never met a non white person until they moved out west, this is certainly the case for a lot of people from the Atlantic provinces.

There's actually a lot of regionalism even among white Canadians and you'd probably have to be from Canada to even understand, it goes something like this, people who stand the best chance of getting hired in Fort Mac:

#1) Newfoundlanders- 99% of them know a relative or good friend who can get them on, they are very cliquish, I'd go so far to say that they're tribal. You'll see entire crews of 6-12 guys who all hail from the same backwater town on the rock.

#2) Cape Bretoners- Similar to the Newfies in that 99% of them have a relative working in Fort Mac, also cliquish.

#3) Maritimers (NS, PEI, NB)- Again, most know someone in Fort Mac, less cliquish than #1 and #2.

All of the Atlantic Canadians have a reputation for being hard workers and heavy drinkers, many of us grew up working way harder jobs for much less pay in fishing, forestry, mining, etc. We tend to all stick together and this is why there's so many of us in Northern Alberta, especially Fort McMurray. Some employers have to pay their guys on Mondays because if you pay an east coaster on friday, there's a good chance that he won't show up on Monday.

#4) British Columbians- Provided these epic stoners can actually pass a piss test, BC folk are well liked. They're laid back and many also have experience working hard jobs in fishing and forestry. You'll meet a lot from Vancouver Island and the interior, but not so many from Vancouver because why they hell would someone from Lotus Land ever want to live in Fort Mac?

#5) Saskatchewan/Manitoba- These Prairie farm boys have a good reputation for begin very hard workers and also very down to earth type guys. I wouldn't describe them as "cool" because most are red necks but they're easy to get along with.

#6) Alberta/Ontario- This is a close call because Albertans and Upper Canadians are known to be some of the biggest dickheads in Canada. Albertans (especially from Calgary and southern Alberta) are generally cow boy types and right wing conservatives, this is where Canada's "Bible Belt" is and with its oil and cattle, Alberta is often called the Texas of Canada.

As for Ontario, its a mixed bag because people from places like Thunder Bay are quite different than people from Toronto, but they all for some reason think that Ontario is the centre of the world and people from all of the other provinces hate on Ontario for various reasons, especially the Maple Leafs and the political power the place holds over the entire country.

#7) Quebec- Although it my favorite province, its no secret that a lot of English Canadians hate on Quebec and the Quebecois, especially in Calgary where if you mention the name Pierre Trudeau or admit to voting for any party other than the Conservatives, you'll likely be punched in the face. On the other hand, there are quite a few Quebecois working in the oil sands (SNC Lavalin, DCM Group, etc) so if you're French speaking, you have options.

Now, if you're a non-white Canadian who grew up in Canada and doesn't have an accent, I think overall, you'll be okay, but you will have to be thick skinned. Again, this isn't a PC place to work and you may hear the odd joke or asked a really stupid question like "you're brown but you don't have an accent", I heard that one before, coming from the mouth of my friend from NS.

Even first generation immigrants who do have thick accents can do well, sometimes very well in Alberta, although again, if you're in a trade environment, you'll be working with red necks. The best thing for you to do is not let people push you around or tolerate much BS, although there is a fine line. You don't want to be labeled as a pussy or a rat who is going to go to HR or the union rep to tell on some guy who made an insensitive remark, because you may be black listed. That being said, you don't have to tolerate any overt racism or guys making fun of your religion, etc. Like I say, its a fine line and you'll have to make that call.

Even for white guys, if you're a socially awkward, introvert pussy then you'll have a hard time advancing or getting promotions, it doesn't matter what colour you are. This is generally a male dominated, tough guy work environment and for the most part, your hard work will be recognized and if you're a whiner or complainer, you'll be punished, not officially but you may not get called back for work. Job sites are a lot like a locker room, everyone makes fun of each other, tells jokes and BS stories but once you're on the ice so to speak, you work as a team to get the job done.

Anyway, hopefully that little rant sheds some light on what the work environment is like. As I've always maintained in this thread, there's enough work for everyone, it doesn't matter where you're from, but things like nepotism and favoritism do exist, so some guys have an advantage over others, I"m sure this isn't the only place in the world where this happens. A lot of your success depends on your personality, work ethic and whether or not you can "play the game" if you know what I mean.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
02-21-2013 04:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 9 users Like scotian's post:
pitt, DjembaDjemba, Thehustler, Vacancier Permanent, Atlantic, John Mack, Zeus, WesternCancer, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-21-2013 04:12 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM