Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-27-2013 01:11 AM)ilove Wrote:  Scotian,

I am interested in a safety watch or labourer job for the shut down season that'll give me flights and camps, like you mentioned in the first page of this thread. You know, 12 hour days of 3 weeks on, 1 week off, roughly ~$1500 a week after taxes, etc.

To land a job like that, do I need to bring my ass to Alberta first? Do you know if companies like CEDA or Clean Harbours hire over the phone? And with those jobs, will there be gaps in between jobs that I would need a permanent place in AB? I'm wondering if I can keep my base in BC and still be able to get/maintain jobs like that.

Thanks in advance.

Your best bet would be to get your ass to Alberta but you can always try to fax resumes or email and call from BC. Don't get your hopes up for a rotation, you'll most likely be put on a shut down and just work it for the duration, whether its two weeks or (hopefully) two months.

There will likely be gaps in between gigs, such is the life of a road whore on the shut down circuit. Now you could maintain residence in BC, but I would advise against it. Being a lowly labourer, you want to put yourself in the position of being the company's GO TO GUY, which I was for about three years, this entails the following:

-Living near the action: Edmonton, Fort Mac, etc.
-Having a cell phone on at all hours
-Having a car and being able to get to the job site or work shop, relying on public transport won't cut it.
-Never saying no to work: even if you're busy with friends or family, as the go to guy, you drop those suckers the minute dispatch calls and get your ass to work.
-Don't be drunk or high all the time, Saturday night is cool but don't be pissed at 2pm on Tuesday if there's a chance you may get called/

Now, understand that being the go to guy sucks balls and you'll have no life but, you'll be busy. You'll be the first one called because the company knows that you won't say no, you'll get the most work and experience and you'll move up the quickest until you have the experience and skill set you need to be able to tell dispatch when they call you at the last minute to go to some job ten hours away, "fuck off, I'm smoking a joint and getting a blow job, call someone else!"

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
02-27-2013 03:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
Thehustler, RossTan, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-27-2013 03:11 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM