Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-01-2013 12:49 AM)paddy wagon Wrote:  Scotian,

I'm a new member, and have been reading
the threads for the last couple months.
I appreciate all the info you and the others contribute.
In the U.S. I work as a stationary engineer in a waste water
plant. We can work Maintenance or operations.
I work maintenance and would describe it as the same
type of work as a Millwright would do at a oil sands plant.
Conveyors, pumps, grit collectors, welding, fabricating etc...
I'm a journeyman and am doing some home work on the possibility
of working up there in the future. I have a few questions that i
would like to ask.

I talked to a union agent from the millwright local and he said they have about 25% of the representation up there. I also see this C.L.A.C 'union'
and it sounds more like a 'company union' I have read things like the CLAC did away with double time and don't seem to represent there
members the way the locals do, any insight on this?

Could you also describe how the pay structure works i have a seen
time and a half on fridays and double on weekends does that still exist?
Thanks again for all the contributions

Your JM ticket should get you into the country under the skilled worker program, may take sometime though. You're a millwright eh? I'm not overly familiar with the companies that employ millwrights but I knwo of two offhand who I've worked around before, Bula (http://www.bula.ca/) and DCM group (http://www.dcmgroup.ca/en/), so try cold calling them to see what they say.

CLAC is big in the oil sands and they are a bit of a sham union but they have the majority of the work up there and employ a lot of Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWs). They pay less and provide less benefits than the traditional unions but working for them is still pretty good, I have several friends who are CLAC members and they seem happy. I've worked on many projects with CLAC members and they don't differ so much as union workers, although they do sometimes put up with shittier work conditions because they don't really have shop stewards or union reps, there isn't a lot of fraternal solidarity there.

The pay for CLAC members is straight time for the first 8 hours and time and a half thereafter, Monday to Friday. Weekends and holidays are all time and a half, and the employers contribute to employees RRSP plan (Canadian version of 401K), not sure if TWFs qualify for that.

So good luck getting into Canada, sounds like you have the experience and skill set that is needed in Alberta, keep us posted on your progress.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
03-02-2013 02:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-02-2013 02:11 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM