Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-02-2013 02:52 PM)stardust Wrote:  Hey everyone - this thread is great - thanks a lot to Scotian, Irishman, and all the rest who have provided so much information and access to a great opportunity.

I'm currently in Ottawa making $12.90/hr with my M.A. degree - so I've decided to take the plunge and head out west to look for opportunity. I'm a little worried about lacking a drivers license - looks like I'm going to have to wait a year before even having the intermediate class 5. I hope this doesn't handicap me too badly in finding something - it looks like the rigs won't be an option until that happens.

The big question right now is Edmonton or Calgary? I've read through and it seems like people have been able to succeed in both markets - I don't remember seeing a robust pros/cons list for both cities. Really looking forward to meeting everyone out there - it will be nice to have some quality wings!

Anyone centrally located in either city looking for an extra housemate at the moment?

If I were you, I'd move to either Calgary or Edmonton and get a place near the LRT line and just find any job, you'll be able to make more than what you're currently making, trust me.

Getting your driver's license should be your #1 priority, until you get that, I wouldn't expect to land a lucrative job in the trades or on the rigs but apply anyway, you may luck out.

Focus on making contacts with people in Calgary or Etown, building a social circle, meeting girls, etc. I would say give yourself 6-12 months, or however long it takes to get your license.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
03-04-2013 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-04-2013 09:56 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM