Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-04-2013 08:06 PM)Fuego Wrote:  Amazing thread, thanks to Scotian and all the ppl contributing. Scotian I wanted to know if you worked or ran, or know any power engineers (Also known as Operating Engineers or Power Plant Operators) out there in the oil sands or around the Edmonton area ??

I'm currently taking a PE course in Ontario but my goal was always, and still is to get a position out in the oil sands preferably a FIFO camp job or around Edmonton. Also I wondered if to be a to get into Instrumentation Tech do you have to take a course or can you get in an union and get into an apprenticeship with no experience?

There's lots of power engineers employed throughout Alberta, every oil sands operation has them as do all of the plants in Alberta's "Industrial Heartland", Fort Saskatchewan. Plenty of opportunities for FIFO jobs or Edmonton based. I"m not too sure about the instrument tech course or if you can just join the union, call the union or NAIT to find out.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
03-06-2013 01:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Fuego

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-06-2013 01:01 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM