Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-09-2013 03:10 PM)salmonfella Wrote:  mate did you do a day work yet? how does it differ to that of drilling? is there a big difference between a drill crew and a service crew regarding work/pay?

Haven't done a work day yet as I was officially hired on Friday. The company also has a drilling side as well, so when I was doing my paperwork for my other licenses, they showed two charts (one for well-servicing and one for drilling) which showed the ladder of positions from trainee to rig manager.

Label-wise, the well-servicing side didn't have a leasehand but a 'trainee' as a starter position, whereas the drilling side had leasehand as a starter position. I haven't started the work yet nor have I been on site, so I cannot comment on the work. Pay-wise, it's the same for both crews. As per my offer letter, the position of floorhand is based on current CAODC rates.

Based on what the recruiter tells me, the well-servicing side moves around much more often because this division is focused on maintenance of the existing wells and rigs, which means that once the maintenance and the check-ups are completed, then you close up shop and move to the next well/rig.

(03-10-2013 12:52 AM)John Mack Wrote:  Nice one Albertron.
You stayed focussed and got what you wanted. You made it happen.

This tune is for you dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBAYD4kmPo

Talk to you in Etown soon

Thanks dude. 7 days of hitting the pavement hard and lots of rejections led to a walk-in, an immediate interview, and a job the next day.

(03-10-2013 01:35 AM)RossTan Wrote:  Hey, did you go to Ensign Energy services in Nisku? Smile The "babe" description is the biggest hint. Tongue They are there for a reason. BAIT! Tongue Dudes will shovel sh*t just to get to talk to some of them, it's no accident they are attractive and doing recruiting. Wink

Hahaha, Ensign was one of the many...many companies I approached during my 2 days in Nisku. From what I recall, there was an attractive blonde lady that I spoke to. But I didn't end up getting work with them.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 02:55 AM by Albertron.)
03-10-2013 02:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Albertron's post:
scotian, RossTan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 03-10-2013 02:53 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM