Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-22-2013 10:21 PM)John Mack Wrote:  Really liking Canada and the Canadians so far.

Everyone is super friendly. They're all like.. "Anything I can help you with man, just let me know." So glad I made the move.
Still getting used to the snow though. It's been colder than an eskimos ballsac here in Etown for the last few days. I've worked a cold winter in Holland before but this is another level of cold completely, and I'm only catching the tail end of it. Big respect to you guys up north who work through that.

Haven't been down Whyte Ave yet. Doing long hours at the mo. Hoping to get down there for a few beers next week-end so if Zeus or Albertron or any of you guys are around then, would be great to meet up.

Just a quick word about the drugs test : The one I had to do, they were pretty strict. There was a full body search before pissing into the cup. Smuggling a clean sample in would have been rumbled straight away. Am glad now I didn't partake for the last couple of months - would have been shitting myself otherwise.

Just PM'd you. Welcome to Edmonton, glad you like it so far.

You did end up arriving at the coldest time since I got here. My car was hood-high of snow when I got back from my shift yesterday, luckily my crew was there to help push out my lil '97 Civic. Pulled a 5 day, 14 hr/day rotation as a spare hand for one rig, non-camp, stayed in a hotel (paid by the company with $50 LOA/day), then when I was done, the office called me again to work as a spare hand on a rig in Lamont. Again, pulling 14 hr/day and may be here for another week. Been with this crew for 5 days now.

Working on the rigs is the most physically demanding job I've ever done. Being a greenhand doesn't make things easier, either. They have zero tolerance for pussies.
03-22-2013 11:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Albertron's post:
scotian, salmonfella, John Mack, RossTan, a.canuck

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 03-22-2013 11:25 PM