Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-25-2013 07:58 PM)zeeman Wrote:  Guys I've been in Edmonton for 3 days so far. People are really nice here! they are so friendly and helpful. I applied to 2 companies today, but it took forever without a car and a lot of industrial areas are impossible to reach without one! You should definitely get a friend who has a car to drive you around to apply or someone because there is no public transit to ALOT of industrial areas and also the surrounding counties. This makes walk in applications and potential walk in interviews impossible. Wasting my day trying to get to sherwood park with public transit to drop off an application was frustrating so I faxed it instead. On a better note I walked through an industrial area and theres signs EVERYWHERE that were hiring. As I was taking the bus around town I saw a lot of places with big hiring signs.

Glad to hear that you made the big move and good luck with the job search, but I thought that you were taking a car with you out west?

Guys, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, looking for work in Alberta without a car sucks, big time! Especially if you're unskilled and looking for an entry level job, they are going to hire the guy with a car over you probably 90% of the time.

If you do get a job and they ask if you have a car to get to site, just say yes then go out and steal one and abandon it when you get to the job site. Most parking lots of oil sands sites that I've worked at are littered with abandoned stolen cars, all the tires are flat because they've just been sitting there, for years, get er done!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
03-25-2013 08:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
DjembaDjemba, Laner, JWAP

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-25-2013 08:28 PM