Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
RossTan Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-16-2013 08:43 AM)april6e Wrote:  I'm seriously considering this right now. I "literally" have nothing (money, experience, etc.) except for a liberal arts degree (aka nothing) but hopefully a part time job and some classes will have me ready with $5000, the safety certs, and a car by Spring of 2014 (that is the easiest time to get jobs there, right?)

You guys seem to get asked the same questions constantly so I'll just ask one:

+I'm not afraid of hard work but I'd prefer to not go into something like welding or such and have to train for years just to get the qualifications. I want something where I can be a paid apprentice for 6 months to gain the necessary skills and then be off from the starting gate in terms of salary (I'm obviously not expecting to make 6 figures right away).

Do you have suggestions of fields that you've seen "green" newbies apply to with no relevant job experience whatsoever and get hired quickly and put into solid paying positions within months? I'd prefer something like what Irishman does now (MWD) and unlike his first gig (leasehand). Is MWD something you can just get into or do you need specialized experience beforehand?

You're a USA Citizen. Get into a Trade there. Pipefitting training is big there too. Trades are huge everywhere there's construction happening. Look at it this way. 4 years from now, you'll be 4 years older, so start! Part of earning your Journeymen certification is about the hours you put in. Those hours accumulated over 4 years! The classroom stuff is simple, what counts is the work experience to be seen objectively as a "Journeyman."
03-25-2013 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes RossTan's post:
scotian

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - RossTan - 03-25-2013 09:41 PM