Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-22-2013 10:13 PM)Damedius Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 05:20 AM)salmonfella Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 10:49 PM)Damedius Wrote:  
(03-21-2013 09:51 PM)rdvirus Wrote:  Well I'm all booked up finally.. Been talking about it for too long now, before I even found RooshV forum. Land in Calgary on the 28th... Next chapter of my life and I gotta say this thread definitely influenced me to get off my ass. Hasn't really hit me yet.. Leaving the Greater Toronto Area for more then a few weeks for the first time.

Much of the oilfield work is slowing down. I'm on the last job with my company in NWT. Should be back in Calgary the first week of April

However it is nearing the start of the shutdown season. Scotian knows more about this than I. However Ceda and Clean Harbours are good places to start.

Edmonton has more year round work in construction and trades. Red Deer is a good place to get a job with a well service company.

Are you based in the NWT on an oil rig?Smile will be moveing to calgary in april from ireland meet up for a few scoops if you want thenSmile

No doing some exploration work.

It's coming to an end this year but next year will be expanding. Which means there will be rig work up here. Husky is a big player up here.

There is also the bonus of isolation pay. An extra 25% on my pay.

On a side note. The canadian budget was announced and had a $15,000 a year bonus for trade workers in certain trades. Hard to say how it will work since it supposed to be split between the employer and the government. Which means the company has to be willing to pay their half.

I'm not sure if those juicy tax breaks will apply to rig workers, although rig work is apparently an apprentice trade now, I'm not too sure, it likely won't apply to my trade.

25% bonus for isolation pay is insane, nice one, is that through the company or the Canadian government? I know that if you live above a certain latitude, you're able to complain certain tax benefits and that includes Fort Mac residents. I've never claimed them as I've always claimed residency in Etown, but I should change my address to Fort Mac, since I don't technically live anywhere, lol, life of a nomadic oil worker.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
03-29-2013 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-29-2013 07:01 AM