Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-28-2013 05:36 PM)Thehustler Wrote:  Hey guys so here's an updated post from me, the only reason I am typing all this up is to motivate someone like me who might take a shot at this!

So I basically packed up my shit back in Dec in Montreal after graduating from Uni. Got to Edmonton and found out I couldn't get into a trade cuz I am not a PR also not having an Alberta license meant no rig time for me either. But I quickly found out after a bit of networking that the city is not only hurting for tradesmen but there're ample opportunities for white collar work too. Within a week I had a good accounting position and was working in Downtown. But that wasn't the reason I moved all the way to Edmonton, didn't want to grind out 5-6 years to hit $100K. I wanted to do that in 6 months Smile

So basically took the advice of a few great people here and took a pre-employment course and passed the exam. Right after I got hired by one of the biggest companies in my trade and just finished all my training with them. On Monday I am going to the Suncor Camps in Fort Mac for a shutdown and pretty sure would be coming back with some good coin. With taking a few more courses and passing some exams my trainer in the company told me hitting $150k is easy and $250-300k is also possible if you work like a dog. My goal is to work for the next 8-10 months and then go to see the world. With my previous life style I would've never dreamed of such a thing.

Also making a huge move like this has changed me for better, I think I have grown up more by shaking up my life in the past 6 months than I did by living like a zombie just going through the motions in the past 4 years. Everyday was a new opportunity and a new challenge here!!

The most important thing that I've learned from this experience which is much more significant than any monetary gains is that you DO have the power to change your life. If you're stuck in a turmoil and feel you can't get out, please remember the success stories from this thread. Accounts like these granted me the balls to quit my steady life in Montreal and then a good professional job to pursue my dreams.

Good day!!

p.s: I can't thank Scotian enough for all the guidance and help...also people like vacancier permanent, Nima also helped me a lot through their pm's and constant support

^^Can't thank you enough

Good job thehustler, best of luck up in the dirty old mac!

When I initially wrote this thread I never thought that so many guys would take the leap and actually move out west and do it, but I'm so happy to see that you guys are doing it.

I'm actually kind of jealous because you fuckers seem to be having an easier time than I had, as I've written about in this thread my first few months were a fucking nightmare and I ended up moving home with my tail between my legs. Luckily I met a guy at a random party who gave me the best advice of my life so I moved back out west and that's basically the same thing I'm doing here, with the advice giving, as Ricky says, "what comes around is all around"

I hope that all of you guys succeed in the move to Alberta and continue to update this thread and share your experiences, and for all of you guys sitting on the fence (especially you Canadian guys) just do it!

Anyway, I'm still chilling in SE Asia for another month or so and I'm still on the fence about moving to Australia to work or go back to Alberta. I've had half a dozen job offers in the past couple of weeks and they're hard to turn down but at the same time, I'm looking for something new.

I'll keep you guys posted, hopefully you all do the same!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
03-29-2013 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-29-2013 07:27 AM