Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
vulcannomad Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Came across this thread searching for information on Fort Mac. Been thinking of transferring there for awhile. I have what they say is the best job in the valley(southern Ontario), steady maintenance for 7 years, same company for 12. They keep making changes and now I am down to two-4 day weeks a month. Happy Fridays aren't so happy. I would be looking at a 11/3 shift through my current company, but I have a wife and 4 daughters and would have to live in Fort Mac. I can't calculate what my wages would equal because I know there has been some messing around with O/T hours with the unions out there. How do they calculate your pay on these types of rotations? Is it crazy to consider this move knowing that I would have to live in town? I see most of the guys here commute from Edmonton or Calgary- that won't be an option for me. Does anyone know how much you take home on a 11/3 shift for a union journeyman scaffolder? Having a hard time getting any answers anywhere else. Seems to be a guarded secret.

I could also leave my company and work union in northern BC. Anyone have an opinion on that? I hear there's lots of work there too...

This thread has been very helpful. It's the best oilsands info out there. It is definitely making me consider my options. Thanks.
04-01-2013 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - vulcannomad - 04-01-2013 08:48 PM