Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Nima Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-02-2013 10:00 AM)scotian Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 08:48 PM)vulcannomad Wrote:  Came across this thread searching for information on Fort Mac. Been thinking of transferring there for awhile. I have what they say is the best job in the valley(southern Ontario), steady maintenance for 7 years, same company for 12. They keep making changes and now I am down to two-4 day weeks a month. Happy Fridays aren't so happy. I would be looking at a 11/3 shift through my current company, but I have a wife and 4 daughters and would have to live in Fort Mac. I can't calculate what my wages would equal because I know there has been some messing around with O/T hours with the unions out there. How do they calculate your pay on these types of rotations? Is it crazy to consider this move knowing that I would have to live in town? I see most of the guys here commute from Edmonton or Calgary- that won't be an option for me. Does anyone know how much you take home on a 11/3 shift for a union journeyman scaffolder? Having a hard time getting any answers anywhere else. Seems to be a guarded secret.

I could also leave my company and work union in northern BC. Anyone have an opinion on that? I hear there's lots of work there too...

This thread has been very helpful. It's the best oilsands info out there. It is definitely making me consider my options. Thanks.

I've never heard of an 11/3 shift, that sounds crazy, I know guys who work 10/4 and it sucks, you work 10 days straight, go back to Edmonton or Calgary and barely have enough time to unwind, get drunk and sleep in for a couple of day, then you're back to work. I much prefer 14/7.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a company that has 14/7 or 21/7 or similar shifts. If they only fly to Etown or Calgary then you'll have to pay your own flights home, there's multiple flight to Tdot everyday from both cities (Fort Mac as well) and if your employer isn't willing to pay, then you can claim some of the costs incurred on your taxes, here's some info about that: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2200/
I'm doing an 11/3 shift right now lol

I've had my PM box open for 2 days to reply to Salmonfella and VP but I've been so busy with other shit that I literally can't sit down for more than 5 mins before remembering some other thing I had to take care of. It's getting better now. I got a car yesterday and took care of insurance, registration etc... Now I just need to get my internet sorted out. Been tethering my phone's data since I got to Edmonton.

I'm working at this Kinder Morgan site (Edmonton Terminal Expansion Project) and Mistras is taking care of their entire NDT needs. Unfortunately I haven't touched a single pipe and since 95% of all NDT work is pipe related I'm worried a bit. I don't think I'll touch a pipe for the whole year if they actually ask me to stay here. All our work is on 60-80 foot tanks. Sucks balls some nights but it's what it's. It will all be worth it in a few years.

For all you Canadian guys that are coming to Edmonton from another province, for fuck's sake drive if you have your own cars. Don't fly. This fucking city is a nightmare if you don't have a car. Reminds me of 3rd world countries lol.

I'm off to work now. Some of the guys at work think we're gonna be asked to work Friday too, if that's the case then we'll be pulling a 12-2 shift!!!! That's fucking nutz lol

Last week I had 72 hours on my timesheet haha
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2013 03:33 PM by Nima.)
04-03-2013 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Nima's post:
salmonfella, Atlantic

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Nima - 04-03-2013 03:30 PM