Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Lux Interior Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-03-2013 09:34 AM)vulcannomad Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 03:21 AM)Lux Interior Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 08:48 PM)vulcannomad Wrote:  Came across this thread searching for information on Fort Mac. Been thinking of transferring there for awhile. I have what they say is the best job in the valley(southern Ontario), steady maintenance for 7 years, same company for 12. They keep making changes and now I am down to two-4 day weeks a month. Happy Fridays aren't so happy. I would be looking at a 11/3 shift through my current company, but I have a wife and 4 daughters and would have to live in Fort Mac. I can't calculate what my wages would equal because I know there has been some messing around with O/T hours with the unions out there. How do they calculate your pay on these types of rotations? Is it crazy to consider this move knowing that I would have to live in town? I see most of the guys here commute from Edmonton or Calgary- that won't be an option for me. Does anyone know how much you take home on a 11/3 shift for a union journeyman scaffolder? Having a hard time getting any answers anywhere else. Seems to be a guarded secret.

I could also leave my company and work union in northern BC. Anyone have an opinion on that? I hear there's lots of work there too...

This thread has been very helpful. It's the best oilsands info out there. It is definitely making me consider my options. Thanks.

About $3500, roughly.
Most of the Union jobs in Fort Mac will provide you with Camp accomodation, some will even fly you back to Ontario every two weeks if you want.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking it must be about that. If I transfer with my current company, I have to live in town. This is part of the dilemna. A lot to think about.

Get a transfer to local 1325 (Edmonton & Fort Mac) if you can.
There is so much work up here now, you could take your pick....especially as a journeyman Scaff.
You are guaranteed to get a camp job with flights!
04-03-2013 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Lux Interior - 04-03-2013 07:06 PM