Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-06-2013 03:29 AM)scotian Wrote:  Come on Albertron, let's hear the fucked up stories! Good job on toughing it out on the rigs and good idea to bank as much money as possible and going back to school.

One story I heard was from one of the guys at the HI Hostel in Edmonton. We shared a room and we were both looking for rig work so we exchanged advice and shit like that. Anyway, he was telling me about his cousin's son who came out to Alberta from B.C. to get some rig work. Apparently this guy is a jacked-up 20-year-old dude but not exactly the friendliest guy. He gets into one of the drilling company's offices in Nisku and gets hired on the spot. On his first day of work, the crew gave the usual treatment to all the greenhands: grabbing/filling the water cooler, grabbing their lunches, sorting out the coveralls for the crew to wear, cleaning, all that shit. The guy didn't like it so much and started giving attitude and shit. Because of that, the driller made him go outside with a washboard and a bucket full of water and detergent (in the winter cold) and told him to do his laundry. I don't know if he actually did the laundry, but what I do know is that he cussed out the driller and almost got in a fight with him. Boom, fired on the spot.

Another story I heard was from one of the drillers I was working with. He was telling me about this one driller that had a serious problem with meth and coke and all that shit. He wasn't doing it while at work but during spring breakup or whenever he went on vacation, he'd abuse that shit. This guy was so fucked up, whenever he was bored, he would throw those 36" pipe wrenches at greenhands just to see if he could do it. He got one greenhand in the arm, didn't break anything but enough for him to get a drug test, which he failed. The other fucked up part was that they still asked him to work later because there was a shortage of drillers at that time.

(04-06-2013 02:21 PM)Zeus Wrote:  
(04-06-2013 03:29 AM)scotian Wrote:  Yeah go get your gun license and shoot some animals, you're an Albertan now, it's a basic requirement....what kind of monster jacked up rig pig truck do you plan on buying? haha

And taking a dip of chew

Yeah pretty much everyone on the rigs dipped on chew. They said it helped with dehydration but I dunno if they were fucking with me. I don't do that shit anyway.

And the trucks that these guys got? Damn, I felt so out of place with my '97 Honda Civic. All these guys were talking about their huge ass trucks and arguing about which brand of truck is better. If I were to become a driller I'd probably pick up a Ford F-350. I'm told that Ford's make some awesome and reliable trucks.
04-07-2013 11:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Albertron's post:
scotian, payne

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 04-07-2013 11:54 AM