Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Guys, you know how I always go on about SAFETY and how important it is once you get on site, you do what you can when it comes to yourself (wear PPE, attend/participate in tailgate safety meeting, follow the rules, etc). Well, as some of you may have heard, there was a major incident in Waco, Texas yesterday, a fertilizer plant blew up and killed at least 60 people:

Very sad day and my thoughts and prayers are with the families of of the lost ones, but one thing I want you guys to realize is that if you're thinking about looking for work in the oil sands, you too will be exposed to these kinds of incidents. I don't want to scare anyone off, but there's no way around it, working at these heavy industrial sites can be dangerous, although rare, incidents like that do occur, sites fucking blow up every once in awhile!

I posted about one such incident earlier in the thread, when the CNRL Horizon oil sands upgrader blew the fuck up, thankfully no one was killed, but five were seriously injured, including one young guy who had only been hired a few days earlier, he got put in a hospital during his first ever oil sands hitch. Ya, me and the guys at work made a shit ton of cash during the ensuing nine month shut down, but it scared the shit out of me and even now, I'm still leery about working on the live sites.

WORK SAFE GUYS!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
04-18-2013 12:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-18-2013 12:22 AM