Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
man in green Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
hey guys,

Im new to this forum and mainly joined because of this golden thread. Big thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute, amazing amount of detail and info here lads. Quick word on my background, im a 20 year old lad from Ireland, im currently in collage and exams are starting soon however i think iv spent more time researching and planing my canada adventure then studying Tongue i dont plan on going back to collage next year as im starting to think it would be abit of a waste, i have 3 more years to do and id much rather spend that time in canada taking on the challenge and lifestyle that comes with it, making sum decent paper and moving up the ladder to become a driller on an oil rig or if i went down the trades route clock up some time as an apprentice scaffolder or pipefitter, then been a broke ass student that can barely aford to go out once a week for afew pints! and it would probally take another year or 2 to even find a job after geting a degree as Ireland is in a bad state! Dont get me wrong i like the whole collage experience and the crack is mighty but i tink im past it and would like to try better myself and my life financially, mentally and physically by taking this opportunity!
Its going to take me a gud few more months before things really come together to make the move as im broke and nowhere near having the initial funds to set myself up over there (5000 dollers). so more time for planing i guess,
Quick questions... Do ye guys think it will still be handy enough to land a good gig on a rig or get an apprenticeship this time next year?? (at the very most) If one was to follow all the advice here and meet the requirements (safety tickets, visas etc)

Also, if one was to make 100k in a year doing lets say scaffolding work (obiviously not in their 1st year but after maybe 3 years in an apprenticeship or so?) how much of that is left after taxes.. any ideas roughly?

Thanks for your time lads, work safe out there.
05-08-2013 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - man in green - 05-08-2013 06:50 AM