Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-09-2013 06:04 AM)man in green Wrote:  hey Scotian,

ya that sounds v. good. I wouldnt mind a labour type job atall and im all for paying my dues and working hard. Anything is beter then been here, iv being going through a pretty rough patch here and having some really low days even weeks. I actually think i need this canada trip just as much as i want it if ya get me. I just want to get the ball rolling on this as soon as i can and start getting a better life for myself on track.

Do ya think labour entry positions or leasehand positions would be handy enough get into late this year roughly? once one has all da required certs etc sorted of course..

Salmonfella,

I get you now man, thanks for the heads up, will ya let me know what immigration say bud.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, there's always work in Alberta. You may not land the dream job right away and you may even work a shitty job for awhile, but you'll be able to make ends meet. Just look at the experience of Irishman, he busted his ass doing landscaping and shoveling snow for a few months, then he got the gig he was looking for.

I always try to tell guys to be realistic about their expectations, don't expect to be making $30/hour right away, it took me a year of living in Alberta and going to trade school to get to that level. If it happens, then great, but $15-20/hour is more realistic.

Again, September to November is very busy in the oil sands and the refineries/plant site in northern Alberta (Edmonton, Fort Mac, etc) but it slows down a bit December to March. The winter months are busy on the drilling side, then they slow down in the spring during break up time.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
05-09-2013 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
RossTan

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 05-09-2013 08:15 AM