Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Pete Offline
Kingfisher

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-11-2013 07:01 AM)scotian Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 06:39 AM)Pete Wrote:  I never thought of it serioursly. But I just saw a website that offers training
http://www.mdslimited.ca/

They expicitly say you will probably have to get trained again if you're hired, but I'm wondering if taking that training would be a good way to get a foot in the door? If it is I might take it. Anyone have any experience with it?

I'm somewhat familiar with the school, its in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia and my friend's brother took the course and I've heard of other people taking it and they all said the same thing: don't take the course! It costs several thousands of dollars and although it would teach you some very useful skills, you can learn those same skills by getting hired on as a green horn at any drilling company in Alberta. This course won't put you ahead of any random unskilled guy who gets hired off the street, you'll both be complete newbies. I would rather get paid to learn all of the basics than fork over thousands of dollars for something that isn't really going to give me an advantage. Also, you have to factor in the costs of moving and living near the school, and North Sydney is a shit hole, my parents are from those parts.

I would suggest using the money to buy a decent truck and just have extra cash in the bank while you relocate to Alberta and look for work in the oil biz.
Thanks for your input! I was just looking at it as a way to get a feel. I think it's only about $1,000-2000. I have no way of moving to canada as it is very hard to get a visa to live there for an american citizen and I don't have any trade, just a bachelors in business (management information systems).

Right now I'm working for $7.25/hr alongside with guys who never went to college, I feel like I wasted those years. So I wanna move to a career that's more fullfiling (economically)
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 02:54 PM by Pete.)
05-11-2013 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Pete - 05-11-2013 02:53 PM