Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
sugafree Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-31-2013 05:50 AM)scotian Wrote:  So I updated my facebook status yesterday to inform my friends that I"m heading back to Alberta and decided to add that I'm looking for work, by today I had five different leads from different companies. Here's what I was offered:

-Pipeline gig in Bonneyville, Alberta
-Steady work in Fort Mac, living in the city
-Steady work based out of Edmonton, probably lots of field work
-Four days on, four off at a coal mine near Fernie BC (this one would be sweet because Fernie is an awesome town, great snowboarding in the winter, golf and fishing in the summer)
-Five month shutdown in Saskatchewan

The coal mine gig really interested me but I'm going to pass because I plan on taking next winter off again, good to know that a sweet job like that exists though. I'm probably going to take the shutdown gig in Saskatchewan because its with a company I've already worked for and I know a few of the guys on it (including my best friend who traveled with me in Asia), it should be pretty easy going and it will be a good opportunity for me to learn new things and advance my career. So if I take this gig, I will probably work for five months straight with the least amount of days off as possible then come November I will fuck off somewhere warm again!

Oh ya, the start date on the Sask job is June 10th so I will only have a few days in Edmonton, hopefully some of you guys will be around then.

I partied and hung out with a bunch of Canadians who worked in the mines in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan and they were making about $12k USD equivalent a month.
06-01-2013 01:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - sugafree - 06-01-2013 01:11 AM