Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
BusDev Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I am not too sure about the Roustabout job opportunities as I work on the business side of the oil and gas business. But I do know in the US you MUST have a work visa to secure employment and I highly doubt any company will sponsor a work visa for an "unskilled" roustabout position. US companies normally sponsor engineers with a 4 year and/or master degrees, accounting degrees, and doctors. These guys normally move to the front of the line for work permit sponsorship.

The UK is probably your most realistic option because of the EU connection. The UK is tough because of the Tier 1 Visa restrictions for employment. The UK just changed all of their work visa requirements and made it more difficult to secure a work permit. Since you are from the EU, do you still need a work visa to secure a job in the UK? I would check out this school in Aberdeen if I were you and start asking them what offshore tickets are required to qualify to go offshore?

http://www.aberdeen-drilling.com/

Here is a Scotish site for relocation.

http://www.talentscotland.com/Workers.aspx

Another option is to contact someone in HR at Maersk Drilling. Go on Linkedin.com if you have too, so you can connect with someone in the HR dept. I know they have training programs for engineering students to become drillers and they all start out as roustabouts/floorman. They do a lot of drilling in the North Sea and are a great place to start if you can get on.

You can send out your resume online, but you will have more success showing up at the drilling offices in the shipyards around Scotland. But make sure you know which oil tickets you need first to qualify to go offshore. This will make you much more attractive to hire. Good luck!

(06-01-2013 01:38 PM)Jourgensen Wrote:  Ok, thanks for the advices on european gigs. For us europeans that seems to be the only realistic solution.

I was looking around the various sites, and Scotland seems to be the best in this bussines, as far as european continent is concerned.

Now, are there any slight chances to get a rostabout gig (or whatever name that is for the complete rookies) through online applies, as far as Scotland is concerned? Do they lack work force like the States and Canada as well?
06-01-2013 09:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - BusDev - 06-01-2013 09:36 PM