Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Sandbagger Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hi there,

First post on this forum, i've been following this thread for a few months now and have really been inspired by the stories here and have gained so much useful information I otherwise wouldn't have at my disposal. I just wanted to know a few things, and gain a bit of understanding after reading through the thread multiple times.

First, I'm pretty young at 18 and have completed my Highschool. I am taking a two year program for Welding and fitting which is quite comprehensive. After the programs end I get a CWB all positions ticket. The program is roughly 1800 hours. I'm hoping that after those 2 years I can move directly to Alberta or Saskatchewan and start working in the oil and gas industry. What would the chances be of me landing a gig with no previous shop or welding experience with the exception of my two year program? The only experience I have is greenskeeping at a Golf course which is basically maintenance driving around light to mid weight machinery and working as a co-ordinator for mountain operations at a Ski resort.

I'm used to logging long hours and working hard, its what I like to do, and I think landing a gig related in some form to the oil industry would fit my needs. Preferably I would like to land a welding related job if not i'd like to get my foot in the door with Drilling and then find a welding job during spring break up.

What would be the best time of the year to make the move to Alberta, I really don't want to make the move then end up stuck in the off season.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions and explanations, thanks in advance! Looking forward to joining to community and being a part of it!

Thanks!
06-09-2013 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Sandbagger - 06-09-2013 09:01 PM