Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Awesome stuff HoustontoEdmonton! I take my hats off to you for your courage for coming here totally blind!

From what I've gathered, July is kind of slow but things pick up in August as the fall shut down season hiring gets in the way. If your current job is not too crappy, hang on to it for another 3-4 weeks then you should have better luck by then. Get in touch with the guys from the forum who are currently in Edmonton and there are a lot, just scroll back a few pages and you'll see them. Reach out to them, meet them for drinks, they are cool guys.

Regarding accommodations, are you staying at Hi Hostel? Even tough their policy is that you can only stay up to 2 weeks in a row and leave for another 2 weeks before returning, it's all negotiable. Talk to the guy in charge, explain to him your situation and see if they can let you stay despite their policy.

I'd like to hear what Scotian, the expert in the field as to say in terms of tips for HtE and others in this situation.

Hang in there man! It's only a matter of time!!!

Cheers!

(07-05-2013 04:50 PM)HoustontoEdmonton Wrote:  Hey guys, been reading this thread for a long time and this is my first post.

I'm from Houston, TX and I have been a student there for a while. Lots of student loan debt and generally being poor as fuck has taken its toll on me. When I came across this and various other threads I decided I'd roll the dice and come up. I worked a shitty full-time security guard job back in late March (9 bucks an hour!) while going to school in the morning, so I didn't sleep much. Saved up a decent amount although by oil sands standards it wasn't shit. Most of the money went to plane ticket, certifications (WHMIS, CSTS) and the SWAP program that allows me to legally work in Canada. Got my work permit and my SIN and I'm currently in Edmonton. I've been applying to places online/faxing resumes and calling people but I'm starting to get a little confused/discouraged as to how I'm gonna be able to get a camp job. I'm working a temp job right now in Edmonton but that's not what I came up here for. (when I told my boss what I'm doing he was like, "Wow you have balls", seems to be the general reaction most people have)

I have another week before I need to check out of my hostel for at least 7 days and money/time are running out. People are telling me to go to Nisku to apply in person, so I'm gonna try to get out there on Monday or Tues. Dont wanna fuck my temp job up though and that's 8 hrs a day during the week. I feel like I'm really close but there's something I'm missing. Need to get in a camp ASAP I don't care if it's general construction labourer or fucking janitor work, as long as I have camp then I can get my foot in the door.
07-05-2013 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 07-05-2013 05:40 PM