Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
MiddleEastern Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(07-06-2013 02:07 AM)Albertron Wrote:  
(07-05-2013 04:50 PM)HoustontoEdmonton Wrote:  I've been applying to places online/faxing resumes and calling people but I'm starting to get a little confused/discouraged as to how I'm gonna be able to get a camp job. I'm working a temp job right now in Edmonton but that's not what I came up here for. (when I told my boss what I'm doing he was like, "Wow you have balls", seems to be the general reaction most people have)

I have another week before I need to check out of my hostel for at least 7 days and money/time are running out. People are telling me to go to Nisku to apply in person, so I'm gonna try to get out there on Monday or Tues. Dont wanna fuck my temp job up though and that's 8 hrs a day during the week. I feel like I'm really close but there's something I'm missing. Need to get in a camp ASAP I don't care if it's general construction labourer or fucking janitor work, as long as I have camp then I can get my foot in the door.

When I first got into Edmonton back in Feb, I had a roommate who was looking for work on the rigs, as was I. For 5 days straight, every single day, him and I went out to as many employers around Edmonton and Nisku as possible. Even to all the employment agencies in the area. Nothing. No replies. We were applying during the beginning of shut-down season so we had some bad timing. In total, I must have visited 15 different drilling companies, 10 different employment agencies and numerous other oil & gas companies, not to mention the hundred's of e-mails I sent out to practically any blue-collar job out there. It wasn't until the end of the 2nd week where I walked into a well-servicing rig company at the right time and basically hired me on the spot.

My point is, even though it may seem like no one is hiring, you HAVE to keep hitting the pavement to find the ones that are hiring. You need to go visit the companies, ask for the manager, and display your intentions for work. Cold approaches are tough to do, but they are necessary. All the RVF boys here that got jobs went through the same ordeal. I remember talking to Habsguy and zeeman about the constant rejection we got from companies and how Habsguy almost went broke before finally landing a proper gig so many weeks later. I even remember when zeeman was whining about getting a parking ticket and getting all nervous and shit because companies weren't responding favourably to him, and if he went another month without work he'd be broke too. But he ended up getting an interview and landed a proper gig too. These guys will probably read this and laugh, hahaha.

Just like anything in life, if it is easy to get, it's not worth getting.

I came to Edmonton a week ago and I am in the process of following this procedure. My only problem is I don't seem to be able to find anyone on the same page as mine to exchange ideas and possibly figure out a pivot point to start. Coming from Nova Scotia to Edmonton was a huge transition and everything is different up in here. I was wondering if you could shed some light regarding how to start hitting these oil rig companies, and more importantly, how to find them!

I have read every single page in this thread and the guys in here were a great motivation because I was extremely reluctant to move, lucky me I landed on this thread one day prior to my flight, it changed my whole perspective. Thanks for this thread Smile
07-07-2013 04:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - MiddleEastern - 07-07-2013 04:25 AM