Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
My Oilsands Burnout...

Its been awhile since I have posted an update but since I have just experienced my first major burnout ever I thought it was time to post an update.

Its been 4 months since I have done any drilling/mwd work and I started to put more time into some side projects back in town to keep me busy and boost my savings.

I stopped drinking, starting working out more, got busy at my new job and did some day game/ casual pick up.

The problem funnily enough is that things have gone too well the last few weeks and I have ended up in bed for the last three days with no sign of recovery just yet.

First I started to get on a serious roll at the restaurant I worked in. I got promoted twice in the space of a few weeks resulting in me being general manager. I was running the place solo and sorting out all the major issues however I seen fit. The owner was loving it and let me have complete control of the place. This meant working a lot of hours.

Then I started a landscape company on the side. I got some decent sized projects and even hired my Irish buddy to work with me. The pay was good so I ended up working 70+ hr weeks between the two jobs every week. I dropped of the social radar cause I had no free time to hang out.

Meanwhile I am still on call for the drilling company so I am still making my basic salary every month.

I cut back on going out at all since I had so much work going on and was feeling plenty social working at the restaurant.

I decided to push it further and do some catering projects and other side hustles. I felt unstoppable. I worked 16hr days nonstop for about 4-5 weeks straight. I think I had only 2 half days where I only worked 8 hrs. One day in particular I worked 4 hours at the restaurant, did a 8 hour hot shot and then catered an event for 6-7 hrs. All without any breaks in between. It was like I was on coke.

The funny thing is that even while I was working like a madman my girl count was going up every week. I went from having 1 girl to a Harlem of 4 in the space of two weeks. I had another 2 girls also wanting some on the side. I was fucking 3 different girls most days for the last 2 weeks. I would have one stay over, fuck another one or two at work and then meet up with another afterwards or between jobs. It started getting out of control with a couple of days of 4 different girls in under 24 hrs. Its probably one of the best runs I have had in years, with some very high quality girls, and I had no intention of slowing it down.

Until earlier this week I crashed and burnt out.

My body gave in. I have had 4 weeks of less then 5 hours sleep a night and its been too much.

I ended up sleeping 36hrs straight, my diets dropped off and I feel dizzy and exhausted. I cant work, can hardly drive and am just sleeping a lot. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow so hopefully I recover soon.

I have ended up cutting back on some of the girls and am planning on cutting down my work hours. Ive finished the side projects and I start a new job next week that hopefully provides the change I need. By the way it took all of twenty minutes on Kijiji to get a job paying 20+ dollars an hour, 58 hrs a week.

I have heard I should be back drilling by the end of this month so hopefully the time away on the rig allows me to recover more.

It is kind of funny because I felt perfect while drilling all winter but I managed to burn out during the summer while back in town. I am kind of looking forward to the winter again as I find the pace a bit slower and the weather actually makes me feel better.

I have started a full RVF recovery program with Zinc, Iron, Coconut Oil, AVC and some other supplements.

Hope everyone is doing well and I will try to hang out with the local RVF members when I am back on my feet!

I still love the Oilsands though!!!
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 06:54 PM by Atlantic.)
07-11-2013 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 10 users Like Atlantic's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Thehustler, BusDev, JWAP, RossTan, scotian, Menace, Nascimento, WesternCancer, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 07-11-2013 06:52 PM