Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I know these questions were meant for Irishman, but figured I'd chime in as well.

(07-24-2013 08:38 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  Seems like the biggest problem is the isolation but that can be combated with a couple books a kettlebell and a laptop.

When you're out there working 12-15 hr days on the consecutive, it's really hard to work out or even read after work, especially when your body is beaten up from the job and trying to rest. On some days, you'd be lucky to get even 5 hours of sleep.

(07-24-2013 08:38 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  When you're getting ready to start a rotation when do you usually head out to the camp or lodging you'll be staying at? 2-3 days before hand or sooner?

From my own experience, they'll call you the day before. I've had a couple of instances where they called me 2 days ahead of time. You're on-call so you always have to be available.

(07-24-2013 08:38 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  And I know you work in below zero conditions but when you were a greenhand/deckhand did you ever have an issue of overheating in the coveralls?

Absolutely. But that's part of the job.

Anybody can work on the rig. Just check your ego at the door. Or if you're bringing it with you, you better be able to back it up against those rig pigs.
07-27-2013 11:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Albertron's post:
Vacancier Permanent, MicTyson, Atlantic, scotian

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 07-27-2013 11:04 PM