Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(07-29-2013 10:37 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  
(07-29-2013 09:31 PM)Albertron Wrote:  
(07-28-2013 03:27 PM)MicTyson Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info man. Have you moved up at all in your company? If so how long did it take? Also did you ask to be moved up or did the powers that be just move you to a more experienced position?

I have not moved up in the company, simply for the reason that I didn't spend enough time on the rig to do so. Usually takes about a year to go from floorhand to derrickhand (on a service rig, that is), and if you're really lucky, another 4-5 years to move up to driller. I was already performing derrickhand duties since I had my OSSA Fall Protection ticket, but wasn't getting paid at that rate, so I seldom did it.

One of the derrickhand's I spoke with was supposed to be moved up to driller a couple of years ago, but his rig already had enough drillers and he didn't want to switch to another rig, so he gave up that position and is simply waiting until the position is available to occupy it. It sucks for him because he can already perform driller duties and should get driller wages. I honestly think it's because he's Native and that's the basis they won't give it to him, hahahaha

Anyway, the only way to move up in this industry is putting the time in. No shortcuts (unless you have connections, obviously). The average time it takes to move up to driller, from all the drillers I spoke to, is 5 years. The Native guy is 7 years in the industry and is still derrickhand. So in other words, although there is an average timeline, it is also circumstantial.

(07-29-2013 03:56 PM)Kdog Wrote:  What do you guys suggest wearing to interviews/informal meetings with people at these companies? Not sure what level of niceness to dress because I haven't had too many blue collar job interviews.
Even though I have read this thread twice I can't remember if this was discussed.
Excuse my hamster over thinking this.

First impressions mean absolutely everything.. Every interview I've been to here, I wore dark grey dress pants, a white dress shirt, and black dress shoes, because that was all that I brought. If I brought a suit, I would have worn that. Better to overdress than to underdress, IMO.

It definitely sounds like a "white is right" kind of sentiment in the industry. It also sounds like work on the rigs is kind of inconsistent or is that only in the summer? And a year to move up doesn't seem too bad based on the pay but do you have to ask to advance or do they just come up to you one day and say " hey you, your a derrickhand now" ?

I don`t think its as bad as many would think, I work with tons of foreigners, at the job I`m on now there`s about 15 of us on day shift and three are Chinese, one Nigerian and one Turk, all recent immigrants and we all get along fine, except the Chinese guys don`t speak English very well. Its too busy for employers to be discriminating, they`re hiring anyone with a pulse now and I`ve said it before, this is Canada in 2013, no one has to put up with racist bullshit at work, although having a thick skin and being able to take a joke will go a long way.

You`d be surprised, don`t let the fear of working around a bunch of red necks stop you from moving out to Alberta, I met up with the RVF oil sands crew, there was about 6 or 7 of us out that night and Irishman and I were the only white guys, they all got jobs and are working steady.

Damn, I also met up with Ferro in Calgary and he`s also doing well, I think everyone who moved out has found work and is doing well in the oil biz, right on.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
07-29-2013 10:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like scotian's post:
MicTyson, Vacancier Permanent, Albertron

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 07-29-2013 10:59 PM