Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
MicTyson Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Again thanks for the info. I've been trying to get a friend to come work with me but he refuses. He thinks the economic black hole area we live in will recover. It's awesome that everyone who made the move is doing well especially you guys from outside of Canada. From what I've read on here and other sources the rigs seem like the right place to be. Everyone that starts is "dumb" to the kind of work that they'll be doing because it's so specialized and it sounds like if you shut your mouth and work hard it's impossible to not advance.

Albertron said he was doing derrickhand duties periodically because of a fall arrest ticket, are there any other tickets besides the necessary ones that can help advance you faster like confined spaces? I have my ticket to operate an overhead crane and have experience with robotic maintenance, machine operations, quality control, and some very light industrial electric work but those 4 are just hands on with no formal education. I do have 3 years of schooling in economics and 1 in international business but suits are for people who hire other people to fix their shit.

Quick Edit: What is an interview like with a drilling company? Is it alot of " tell me about a time when this happened" or is it less formal?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 03:16 AM by MicTyson.)
07-31-2013 03:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - MicTyson - 07-31-2013 03:12 AM