Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(07-31-2013 03:12 AM)MicTyson Wrote:  From what I've read on here and other sources the rigs seem like the right place to be. Everyone that starts is "dumb" to the kind of work that they'll be doing because it's so specialized and it sounds like if you shut your mouth and work hard it's impossible to not advance.

Albertron said he was doing derrickhand duties periodically because of a fall arrest ticket, are there any other tickets besides the necessary ones that can help advance you faster like confined spaces? I have my ticket to operate an overhead crane and have experience with robotic maintenance, machine operations, quality control, and some very light industrial electric work but those 4 are just hands on with no formal education. I do have 3 years of schooling in economics and 1 in international business but suits are for people who hire other people to fix their shit.

Quick Edit: What is an interview like with a drilling company? Is it alot of " tell me about a time when this happened" or is it less formal?

From your tickets and pass work experience you have a great chance at getting hired. Don't over think the work side of things too much- focus on getting to Alberta and getting set up. Remember once you are set up in town with a truck and place to stay you can always shop around for a job that suits. I like drilling but its up to yourself if its for you. If its not there is always something else that pays similar.

Get set up, then do some rig work and see if its for you. Don't over think the small stuff at this stage. As I said recently worse case senario you are up a couple of thousand dollars for a two week rotation and have a few stories. Best case scenario you enjoy it and you start working towards moving up the ladder.

As for the interviews for a roughneck/newbie position its a case of meeting the basic criteria and passing a piss test. Do you have a truck/H2S Alive/First Aid and enough money to buy some gear and survive two weeks out of town? You are good to go.

I didn't even have an interview for my leasehand position. I went in and signed some paperwork and watched a few safety videos. I was hired through my resume and from ticking the boxes of what they are looking for. Honestly the standard isn't that high.

Getting hired as an MWD is obviously different and I have already written about that extensively.
07-31-2013 05:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Atlantic's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 07-31-2013 05:08 AM