Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Jay_Bird Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(08-02-2013 01:02 AM)scotian Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 10:09 PM)Jay_Bird Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 11:34 AM)Lux Interior Wrote:  
(07-31-2013 12:24 PM)Jay_Bird Wrote:  Has anyone here heard of PTI Group?
I am still in the process of getting hooked up with a job with them
and finally got a reply that my resume was sent to the recruiting person.
So its still a waiting game to hear from them.

Yes, they build and run some of the work Camps that people live in while working in the oil sands.

They have a shop in Edmonton where the fabricate the buildings before shipping them up north.
Their carpenters are hired through the Edmonton carpenter's union, not sure about their camp staff.

I see. I'm still debating leaving Ontario to go work washing dishes or cleaning or something on a 3 week on 1 week off shift

Do you have a job lined up with a camp because those aren't usually gigs you debate whether to do or not, camp jobs are some of the hardest ones to get, either you have your name in with the union (http://www.ufcw.ca/) or you know someone. Seriously, its probably easier to become a welder or an electrician than a dish washer.

PTI is a big company but their camps suck and I ended up in the ER in Fort Mac after getting a staph infection from a PTI camp at Suncor Firebag, there was a big scabies outbreak at the camp, which thankfully doesn't exist any more but you can read about it here: http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/2010/04/...31326.html

Yea I know a guy thats in real good with the company you could say.
I've been waiting since like April for my resume to get through and finally got an email from the guy I know saying he sent it to the recruiter person and they will contact me so I don't know when that will be hopefully soon because my hopes of getting out there are going down as I wait.
Anyway he said its a 3 week on 1 off shift and employees can stay at the camp on their week off for like 30 bucks a day or something like that.
So I was planning on doing that untill I saved a bunch and meet people and then find a trade so I can start an apprenticeship.
Thats fucked up about the outbreak glad that doesn't exist anymore lol
I think the trades involved with that company would be carpentry, plumbing and electrical since they build work camps so maybe I could get in doing carpentry or plumbing eventually. I have some basic plumbing knowledge.
08-02-2013 01:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jay_Bird - 08-02-2013 01:14 AM